Community News Corporation | Byron, MN

Latest Dodge Center, MN, weather
weather sponsored by


Advanced Search

Home
News
• News
• Agri-Business
Obituaries
Sports
Opinion
Legals
Classifieds
The City Pages of West Concord
Local Business Directory
It's My Life by Emily Steffens
Kasson Garage Sales
Byron Garage Sales
Feedback
Community Links
Contact Us







Expressions Hair Studio

home : news : news
June 24, 2018

6/13/2018 2:10:00 PM
Berne Pizza opens 7th season with new stage

By Karen M. Jorgensen

With perfect weather drawing a large crowd, Berne Wood-Fired Pizza opened its seventh season of pizza and concerts last Wednesday with a ribbon cutting at its new stage.

Berne's previous stage, which was more than 50 years old, was in disrepair, said Angela Organ, event coordinator.

Pizza is served picnic style every Wednesday night in June, July and August on the grounds of Zwingli United Church of Christ from 5 to 8 p.m. with concerts beginning at 5 and 6:30 p.m. Funds raised support the church and its chosen nonprofit beneficiaries.

Last week's event saw performances by Les Fields and the Turkey River All-Stars and LP and the 45s and crafts for children in addition to the ribbon cutting and pizza. The new stage provides performers with a roof and lighting as well as improving acoustics for guests, Organ said. The stage will also be used for other events such as weddings, she said.

In raising the money to build the new stage, she said, the response from local businesses was tremendous and representatives of the donors were on hand for the ribbon cutting.

"When the checks started to arrive, it was truly humbling," Organ said.

"Sponsors repeatedly expressed their support of what we're doing in Berne and wanted to be a part of our mission of giving back. We are extremely grateful to every business and individual who contributed."

Inaugural sponsors, were David Derby of Derby Builders and Brian Hale of Thrivent Financial - Zumbro-Cannon Valley. Other major sponsors included Farmers State Bank of West Concord, McNeilus Steel, R&M Steel, Ellingson Companies, Czaplewski Family Funeral Homes and Crematory and Citizens State Bank of Hayfield.

About 65 percent of the work for the weekly pizza is done by church members, Organ said, with the other 35 percent done by local partners. Helping out over the summer are Faith Lutheran in Dodge Center, St. Paul's Lutheran in Pine Island, Mineola Lutheran in Goodhue, the West Concord Ambulance and Fire Department and the Mantorville Theater Company.

After each season is over, Organ said, they decide which groups will be beneficiaries. Since the first year of pizza, she said, over 45 organizations have benefited.

Read the rest of the story in the print edition of the Star Herald.


Claremont Service




Article Comment Submission Form
Please feel free to submit your comments.

Article comments are not posted immediately to the Web site. Each submission must be approved by the Web site editor, who may edit content for appropriateness. There may be a delay of 24-48 hours for any submission while the web site editor reviews and approves it.

Note: All information on this form is required. Your telephone number is for our use only, and will not be attached to your comment.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Required
Last Name:
Required
Telephone:
Required
Email:
Required
Comment:
Required
Passcode:
Required
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.
   







Field Crest
Safeway Agency
Dodge Center Chiropractic
ExtrasLife
Community News Corp • Byron Review, 507.322.6020, byronreview@gmail.com
Star Herald, 507.374.6531, cnceditor@kmtel.com

Software © 1998-2018 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved